Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 08:48:02 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stephane@cybersurf.net (Stephane Raimbault)
Subject:   Re: Prefered X Window Manager?

As Stephane Raimbault wrote:

> So, I'm just wondering what Window Manager some of you use.  I am currently
> using twm which comes with XFree86.

Just to make the list complete, and since nobody mentioned it before
(i'm personally an fvwm-1 user myself): there's also olvwm, giving you
the look&feel of a Sun workstation.  Unfortunately, the port doesn't
ship with reasonable menu configuration files, and a number of the
interesting *tool stuff from Sun's OpenLook is also missing, but it
integrates nice if you are aiming at people coming from a Sun and
OpenLook background.

(I plan to add some sample config files to the port some day, now that
i've crafted them.  Alas, the window manager dumps core if none of the
files exists, and you try to open a menu.)

As a matter of taste, i prefer the simplicistic OpenLook style much
over the bloated and terribly colored CDE cr*p.  (Please, don't start
an endless thread about matters of taste.  I know that almost everyone
has a different opinion on this.)

--
cheers, J"org