Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:19:42 -0400
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   testing modem

	HI all.  I've got a rather weird request and I'm not sure if it can be
done or not.  I'm looking for a quick and simple way of using a freebsd box
complete with modem to test another machine with a modem.

	The basic idea I'm trying for is rather weird.  Under normal circumstances
I'd hook the modem to be tested straight to a regular phone line and into
the wall jack and dial up that way.  But in this case that's not an
option.  Well it is, but it doesn't allow me to test like I'd like to.

	What I want to do is to have the modem on the computer to be tested hook
directly into the testing computer.  Then when I activate the modem to be
tested I want the testing computer to fake dialtone and then take over and
pretend that it's the actual modem being dialed into.  Then I want it to
collect info and pretend to be connected for a bit then hang up.

	I'm also wanting the testing computer to grab as much info on how well the
modem handled the connection and such.  I'm sure there's some testing
software out there somewhere that would be able to accommodate
this.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm not wanting to do null modem
either.  Just simulate a standard modem connection.

- The Raiden Knows

"Remember amateurs built the ark  -- professionals built the Titanic." -
Unknown

"Just when you think you have life figured out and all is going well, watch
your step, for you are about to fall." - Ancient Proverb