Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:05:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java questions

I have several questions related to installing/using java support on
FreeBSD.  Keep in mind that I do not program Java, I just want to support
my users on the system who want to use java on our web server.  We're
running 2.2-release.

1) I installed the kaffe port via ftp.  Is this what user would use to,
for example, run a server-side jave script as a .cgi script?

2) I tried to install the jdk, but it is not listed on the menus when
using sysinstall.  So I went directly to the /usr/ports tree.  Typing make
in the jdk seemed to download the tar file (it's there in the distfiles
directory).  But "make", "make all", "make install" all just result in a
"Checksum OK for JDK-1_0_2-solaris2-sparc.tar.Z." message.

	a) Why is it doing this?
	b) Is this because I installed kaffe?
	c) How do I get it to install?

Thanks for any insight.