Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:48:01 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Hensley, Ed" <Ed.Hensley@GMACInsurance.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bloodhound.MBR virus question

> Dear FreeBSD Supporters,
>
> I recently bought the FreeBSD 4.0 package and installed it on my IBM
Aptiva
> PC. I used the Dual-boot method, i.e., defraged the disk (8GB), and used
the
> CD-ROM Boot method of installing the release on a new disk partition
created
> by the install process. This all worked fine, and I was able to boot up
> Windows 98, or FreeBSD when I turned on my PC.
>
> Then the Windows 98 selection started giving me a notice (from Norton)
that
> I had the Bloodhound.MBR virus in the Master Boot Record. At first I
ignored
> this (answered NO to letting Norton fix it), and whenever I booted FreeBSD
> had no problems, minus some installation options like sound card not
> working. My first thought was that the Norton software just did not
> understand that I had a dual boot set up on the PC.

This is a Norton false alarm.  When Norton detects something that exhibits
virus-like behaviour, but isn't in their database, it gets labelled as a
"Bloodhound" virus.
(http://service1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc.nsf/html/bloodhound.html)

I just searched the web and apparently Norton labels many boot loaders
(including those used by FreeBSD, LILO and Partition Magic) as being
Bloodhound.MBR -- and of course, they're not viruses.

The suggested workaround is to disable MBR checking in NAV until they
Symantec gets around to fixing their AV product to realize the difference
between a boot loader and a virus.

--
Matt Emmerton