Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 16:46:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jgreco@solaria.sol.net (Joe Greco)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, scrappy@hub.org, marc@bowtie.nl, neal@pernet.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

> > Unless the information was locally generated, in which case it is not
> > possible to recover it.  If I post to a host running mounted -async,
> > and that host does not guaranteed to put the article on disk before
> > it responds to me, and crashes after the response before the article
> > has been committed to stable storage, then my article is lost.
>
> Wrong, Terry, it doesn't have to be that way, just because it works
> that way for some folks.  You're building a case based on assumptions
> that do not necessarily _have_ to be valid.
>
> In my case, when offered an article, it's offered to thirty peers
> instantly, and sent to twenty eight of them long before the disk
> head gets to where it will write it to disk.
>
> That's a pretty small margin for error.  Of course, what you're
> missing is that the post gets spooled to an area of the disk that
> is NOT mounted -o async, first, and gets offered to multiple servers
> before getting wiped, so if it doesn't make it out, something really
> strange must have happened.

If the article is not written to an -async mounted disk, then your
site does not have the potential problem.

> Welcome to '90's news server technology.  I don't care what was true
> five years ago.  I don't care what the clueless newbie newsadmin is
> doing, either.

I think this goes beyond the scope of even the average clued newsadmin,
actually.  The failure modes for -async mounts are probablistic and
non-zero was my major point, and you must take that into consideration.

The orginal recommendation for -async mounts did not include the posting
area being mounted non -async.  If you'll reread my original article,
you'll see I noted that as a workaround fo reliability problems in just
this case.

> > This is different thatn if it is just a read/mirroring server, since
> > all articales which did not locally originate are recoverable, per
> > your example above.  The special case of locally generated articles
> > is not.
>
> The unspecial case of locally generated articles is boring because we're
> both smart enough to engineer a way around it.
>
> (I think.)

Yes.  But the average clued news admin is not aware of the issue without
a discussion such as this one, IMO.  If someone says "mount -async"
without qualification, where is the clue supposed to come from?

It would also be a bad idea for someone to say that, by extension, if
mounting -async sped up news and that's a good thing, mounting -async
to speed up other operations is also a good thing.

> > Because the data is recoverable from other sources, and because your
> > service availability requirements are scoped that downtime following
> > a crash permits recovery to occur.  Yes.
>
> What ARE you babbling about?   I have no downtime after a crash.

The statement is still valid in that context.  The data is recoverable
from oter sources and the scope is zero.  It was not a dependent statement,
so the first part still applies.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org