Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:09:17 -0500
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        "David Gordon (LMC)" <David.Gordon@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ibrahim Haddad (LMC)" <Ibrahim.Haddad@lmc.ericsson.se>
Subject:   Re: X server mouse

David Gordon (LMC) (David.Gordon@ericsson.ca) wrote:

> The mouse is a Compaq PS/2 mouse and the device psm0 is active. I have tried
> both disabling and enabling "moused -3 -t ps/2 -p /dev/psm0" before starting
> the X server, but to no greater success.

man moused:

      Also note that if your mouse is attached to the PS/2 mouse port,
      you should always choose auto or ps/2, regardless of the brand
      and model of the mouse.

Whenever I install a FreeBSD workstation, I almost always have a bit of
trouble getting the mouse to work. It's just a bit more complicated than
it need be; valid configurations exist with moused running, and without,
by using /dev/sysmouse, and by using /dev/psm0 (even if the mouse shows
up as ums0!). The one constant, however, is that I *always* use 'type
auto' in mouse configs.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com