Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:08:30 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __FBSDID breaks buildworld upgrading

At 10:38 AM -0700 7/3/02, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:12:45PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>I proposed that we move all this type of stuff out of <sys/cdefs.h>
>to /usr/include/scmid.h.  This would make it easy for those using
>the code outside of FreeBSD to create a scmid.h file with the
>needed bits.

I believe this could be helpful in my own situation, but I'm willing
to go with whatever the prevailing consensus is.

>  >  I suppose we could take it even further and try:
>  >
>>  #include <sys/cdefs.h>
>>  #ifdef __FBSDID
>>  __FBSDID("$FreeBSD$");
>>  #else
>>  static const char rcsid[] =
>>     "$FreeBSD$";
>>  #endif
>
>Ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly.

Let me stress that in no way did I mean to imply that this was
an even remotely attractive alternative!  :-)

>  > Whatever we do for buildworld will not help if someone just wants
>  > to pick up a single source file from 4.6-stable and compile it on
>  > an "ancient" OS such as 4.4-release.  We talk about providing
>  > support for older releases of FreeBSD,
>
>Not in this way -- where has any developer claimed you can take
>X.Y code and compile it on X.(Y-2)?

No one guarantees that for all source files, obviously.  It just
seems a shame that we are moving to a state where we know that
every single source file will need some futzing to compile on a
9-month old system, or when moving that file to other OS's -- even
NetBSD or OpenBSD.

It would be nice if NetBSD and OpenBSD could pick this up.  Perhaps
that is a topic for the "bsd-api-discuss" mailing list?  Even if
they just put it in as
   #define __FBSDID(x)  /* nothing */

>  > Are the benefits really worth all that effort?
>
>Yes.

Again, I'm willing to go with the consensus.  I do think it is
worthwhile to at least ask ourselves the question, now that we
have a little more experience with this path that we're taking.
On the one hand, we're trying to conform with the latest POSIX
standards, and on the other hand we're saying that every single
source file in our CVS repository will have this non-standard
macro in it.  I see at least some of the benefits from __FBSDID,
but I'm just not sure they're worth all extra futzing around.