Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 09:28:39 -0300
From:      AT Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel: ath0: device timeout

On Friday 28 April 2006 18:04, Sam Leffler wrote:
> > in my case it stopped when I compiled ath_rate_onoe instead of
> > rate_sample as well as I got much higher throughput and response times
>
> If changing the tx rate control algorithm really fixes it then that says
> sample may be handing back bogus rate codes.  Since I can't make this
> happen someone else needs to dig.
>
> As to better performance, onoe is not especially good and I do not
> recommend it.  However sample is too aggressive on up-shifting the tx
> rate and tends to vary the rate too quickly so can degrade performance
> when signal deteriorates.  I have done extensive testing of all the rate
> control algorithms as well as a proprietary one and chose sample as the
> default.  However none are anywhere near as effective as the proprietary
> one.

the proprietary one? You mean not compiling or loading any rate and let the=
=20
card do the work by itself?

anyway, I would say if onoe is "good" or not depends on what this decision =
is=20
based on

if onoe is lazier in up/down shifting the connextion speed it is probably a=
=20
better choice in real life because in outdoor environments there we find=20
conditions which may  continuously change the SNR and noise level and so it=
=20
may cause troubles on a nervous rate shifter

Depends on what we want from this card this rate issue probably needs a=20
general revision (this is not anything against you or your work) because it=
=20
is certainly a difference if I run client mode, adhoc or hostap and so the=
=20
rate decision must be different.

so probably a rate_sample as fast shifter is veru good and desireable when=
=20
running in client mode but I am not so sure if this should be so in hostap=
=20
and adhoc.

I believe that rate_sample shifts down and the rate is going to serve all 1=
00=20
conected clients in 1MB? Or how work this?

This new sysctl has to do with rate decision?

net.wlan.0.bmiss_max

Jo=E3o