Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:44:37 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ntpd as time server?

Drew
I created the /etc/ntp.conf with server statements and a
drift statements. In rc.conf, I first have ntpdate do a
brute force time adjust followed by xntpd.
When booting I see ntpdate and ntp started and when user
ppp gets connected I can see in the firewall accounting
counts that ntpdate goes out over tcp and then ntp starts
using udp to talk to the servers I defined in ntp.conf.

I thought I would see 3 or 5 packets pass through udp to
port 123 as the remote time servers are accessed to build
the data ntp needs to average the clock time.

What I see are a continuous exchange of packets to those
remote time services. Like 250 in a half hour and still going.
I look at the drift file and it's blank.
I get on a winbox and change the socketwatch to point to the
IP address of the FBSD Nic card that winbox goes through and
the win socketwatch program returns a message can not find host.

I checked the socketwatch help and it says it uses SNTP to talk
to the time server.

Is this why it can not find the FBSD ntpd server?

In a prevoius response you said you have a Win ntp client program
called "Automochron" that runs on the Win2K machine.
Please tell me the detailes about this pgm.
Can I download it from the internet?

Thanks
Joe