Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:12:09 BST
From:      Michael Searle <searle@longacre.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI HDs info?

owner-questions-digest@freefall.freebsd.org wrote:

> Freebsd wrote:

>>> Because they're cheap :) Anything wrong with Micropolis drives? The HP
>>> is just as cheap, but the Micropolis sounds good - fast SCSI2, 8.5ms,
>>> 7200rpm.

>> Actually, every HD you posted on that list are cheap ;) I personally
>> don't care for Micropolis' because I don't think they last very long.
>> My IBMs and HPs have lasted longer than my Micraps..

> Welp, I have a customer thats been running two Micropolis 1558-15 (330M)
> drives for over 5 years and they run like a champ! Old and slow though.

>>> What sort of performance did you get from the HP, Fireball and TR850S?
>>> I have heard that Fireballs are fast, but I don't know about the
>>> others. (these were also picked by price)

>> Quantum is definitely faster of the 3.. If you have the $$$ go with
>> Seagate..

Um, the Seagate 1G is UKP 3 more than the Quantum 1G. I have that much $$$.
;) It is a 12ms drive though. (Maybe you meant the larger drives - the
Seagate 2G costs more than twice as much as the Seagate 1G.)

>> I also like Fujitsus...

The Fujitsu M1606SA 1G is a little more expensive, but faster (10ms).

> I've found that Quantum drives platters fail frequently. I have ~20 of
> them sitting in the junk pile! All with failed media. They run fine, But
> bad blocks pop up faster then they can get fixed! I must agree they are
> fast though.

> I have 6 Seagate ST41200 drives in *my* Netware server and they have ran
> flawless for ~5 years they are a bit slow though.

> Fujitsus have been my choice of late for SCSI drives!

Are there any problems with the Seagate ST51080N 1G?

--
Michael Searle - searle@longacre.demon.co.uk