Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:02:58 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pentium "upgrade chips"

I was just flipping though my latest copy of Micro Warehouse catalog, and I
noticed (not the the first time) CPU upgrade chips that claimed to be
dropping "Pentium Processing Power" in to a 486 socket. Average cost was
about $110, and all of the vendors made reasonable claims to speed
improvement.

I'm curious to find out if anyone has used them with a FreeBSD
enviornment, and how they worked out. Now, I realize that the bias is going
to be "Why not go out and buy a full fledge pentium?", but, the upgrade I'm
considering is for my server/router, which doesn't need such a kick in
the pants, and if I wanted to spend $400+ to get another pentium MB,
processor, and probably some RAM, I'd put it on one of my desktops where
it'd really do some good.

So, anyone care to give me an impression of whether it'd be worth it to
keep an aging 486 useful for another year or so, or would I be wasting
my money?
	-Brian