Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:00:11 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

On 2020-02-14 08:16, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 12:16, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
>>> technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern Linux?
>>
>> Sorry, but I find this sort of a chalk vs cheese kind of comparison.
>
> Of course not. When deciding what to use in the next project, you have
> to advocate your choice in front of your superiors and colleagues, and
> your presentation should be well backed up with technical arguments.
>
> When I advocate FreeBSD over Windows, for example, there are some very
> clear and easily defendable technical and economical advantages (open
> source, absence of viruses, BSD license - just to name a few). It is not
> so easy with FreeBSD vs Linux.
>
> For example, the absence of Docker (or analogous technology) for FreeBSD
> is a huge disadvantage. We need to name really superiour features to
> make up for this shortage.

In my book docker is really a disadvantage, not advantage, compared to
FreeBSD jails. Namely:

1. docker carries pretty much whole system for one instance of what you
run in docker (that is, you have to patch all those instances of docker
you run), whereas whole bunch of jails can run under single instance of
base system; hence only one base system to update/patch

2. [correct me someone if I'm wrong, I'm not a Docker expert): docker
has system whose components are read-write inside of its instance, hence
it is more vulnerable to malicious changes from inside running docker
instance, whereas base system stuff is (nullfs) read-only mounted in
case of FreeBSD jail, so at least changes to that from inside jail can
not be made by malicious attempts.

Of course, "market drives", and of course as it is in case of consumer
product market, ignorant in its mass consumer base drives market
offerings towards poorer solutions. Non-Microsoft mass Operating System
customer being mostly Linux, much less footprint for anything else,
drives forward Linux based solutions [especially commercial ones].
Hence, if your superiors have a goal to be more independent of experts
like you, but prefer to have employee base easily replaced (by more
average though still decent sysadmins), if advised genuinely, they will
lean towards Linux based anything.

Just my two cents.

Valeri

>> You start making comparisons, then you have to list all possible Linux
>> distros, etc, you know the drill.
>
> In fact, there is quite a limited number of Linux distros to be
> considered for use in production, maybe 3-4, and they are not that
> different in their capabilities. Other distros are too exotic or geeky.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247