Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:48:35 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "joar.jegleim@gmail.com" <joar.jegleim@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 3 TB disk troubles

On 14 Feb 2013, at 17:01, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, Scott Bennett wrote:
>=20
>>    The confusing thing is that the kernel says it's a 3 TB device,
>> but the utility programs say otherwise.
>=20
> There are more than a few SATA to USB adapters that are not capable of dea=
ling with larger devices.  I've seen at least one that could not handle a 1T=
 drive.  Now that larger drives are becoming more common, the limits are oft=
en shown on the device box or description.
>=20
> The kernel may still identify the device correctly, possibly with differen=
t capacity detection.
>=20
> As mentioned, ESATA or just bypassing the SATA/USB/Firewire adapter and co=
nnecting directly to the drive should give the full capacity.
>=20

I might be completely off here but, what about trying it over FireWire on a x=
64 box, as opposed to his 32bit 8.2 ?