Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:23:13 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        James Gritton <jamie@gritton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hierarchical jails - any current work?

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 01:30:44PM -0600, James Gritton wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> >Something like this:
> >	http://garage.freebsd.pl/mljail.README
> >
> >I did it some time ago, and this is one of the feature for new jail
> >implementation with is beeing designed
>=20
> Yes, that's just the thing I'm talking about, so it looks like I have=20
> indeed be reinventing something.  (The jail scheduling work of cdjones=20
> it something else I'm interested in, but for another time).
>=20
> Now the question becomes: how much jail work is out there, and what's=20
> the likelihood is it seeing the light of day in a released kernel?  I=20
> hate to be going about coding stuff that's been done before (well,=20
> actually I enjoy coding it but you know...), but I only ever see=20
> snippets of jail work mentioned here and there and nothing ever seems to=
=20
> get anywhere official.  I figured the place to talk about this was the=20
> freebsd-jail mailing list, but it seems to be mostly for stuff like=20
> "getting app X to work in a jail" or "the current jail rc scripts have=20
> this or that deficiency."  That's why I cross-mailed to freebsd-hackers=
=20
> - maybe more appropriate there?
>=20
> Where's the secret place people really go to communicate this kind of=20
> thing?  I've done a lot of work in the general jail-like area, and while=
=20
> much of it it the same as others' I'd like to share what isn't.  Of=20
> course, with other people's jail-related projects staying on the=20
> sidelines so long - and that by those with "@freebsd.org" stature - one=
=20
> wonders if there's a point.  I don't mean to sound down on anything,=20
> just wondering what the state of the "jail community" is.  Or where it is.

We are not hidding anything, don't worry:) We just had developers summit
in Denmark when we talked about future jail design. We also talked about
this at the developers summit in Milan last year.

Currently we have the big picture and quite a few details, I wouldn't
call it finished project, because it's not, but we moved forward
definiately. Once we polish the notes taken at devsummit we will publish
them on a wiki page and give some time to the community to comment on
that. If you want to work on jails I would hold on before the wiki page
is ready, because I suspect there will be a lot of work to do.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua--