Date:      Tue, 29 May 2007 16:54:06 -0500
From:      eculp@encontacto.net
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make: Max recursion level (500) exceeded.: Resource temporarily unavailable

Quoting Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>:

> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 07:29:16AM -0500, eculp@encontacto.net wrote:
>> On all my machines (both current and stable) that I've initiated the
>> xorg mega upgrade I'm seeing:
>> make: Max recursion level (500) exceeded.: Resource temporarily unavailab=
le

>> I remember having seen this previously and googled for it and found a
>> ports thread from a couple of years ago that wasn't much help which
>> follows:
>>
>>      > This is usually because you specified an illegal USE_* option in t=
he
>>      > make environment, but perhaps someone committed a mistake.
>>
>>      Got it - because someone pointed out a bug in another thread.
>>
>>      I'm tripping over ports/37596.
>>

>> Is anyone else having this problem or can point me in the right
>> direction to fix it.
>
> Typically the above advice is correct, and the fix is to correct
> whatever is broken in your make.conf.

I don't have a problem with portmaster, which I don't really =20
understand although if I see it again I will definitely do some =20
maintenance on the make.conf.  I would like to ask if there is a =20
current list of options somewhere.  I just go adding to the file from =20
problems seen on the mailing list or in the Makefile and to not have =20
to remember to set the option at build time. I'm sure there is =20
probably a better way.

Thanks for your confirmation of the issue.

ed