Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:38:58 -0500
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Gnome Install

Was just curious if the person asking earlier was able to finally
install Gnome. I decided to try it just to see if it would work (Well
yes, as a matter of fact I AM bored!).

When it reached the point of installing gnomeprint, it failed with the
message "-lungif - no such file or directory". libungif was shown as a
dependancy and the install claimed it as "found" when in fact it was
not installed on my system.

Next stop: gmake[2] gave a failure when trying to compile parsef.c or
some such. This was cured by de-installing and installing gmake!

It just now finished (this sucker must download about 50 meg!) without
any further errors.

I don't do a lot of fiddling with my system, and I guess I'm just
curious as to how it could have gotten into this state. As for the
person installing gnome, watch the errors and do some back-checking.
Apparently some rather peculiar conditions can cause it to fail.

  --  Walter Brameld

in·tel·lec·tu·al
n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.