Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:09:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Anup Talukdar <talukdar@local-motion.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, talukdar@paul.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: Help : Problems with network interfaces

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Anup Talukdar wrote:

> I have used a 3Com 3C589C EtherLink III LAN PC Card as the network
> interface. I need multicasting enabled on this ethernet
> interface. However the interface 'zp0' does not have
> multicasting enabled (as shown below in the output of
> the command 'ifconfig -a').
>
> >zp0: flags=1843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,LINK0> mtu 1500
> >	inet 128.6.157.141 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast 128.6.157.159
> >	ether 00:a0:24:63:b9:e7
> I will greatly appreciate, if someone can inform me how to
> enable MULTICAST on 'zp0'.

You don't, the zp driver doesn't support multicast.  Do you need it for
your site?

> If I remove the 3Com EtheLink III 3C589C and instead insert
> a NOTEWORTHY ETHERNET CARD (PC Card), then I cannot access the
> network. The output of the command 'ifconfig -a' is as follows :

> >  /kernel : ze0 : device timeout. isr=03, imr=9f, imask=0000

The NoteWorthy is not compatible with the ze driver, which is for IBM
CreditCard Ethernet adapters.

I would suggest enabling the laptop PCCARD options in the kernel and
rc.conf.  This will enable some extended functinality in power management
and a more robust pccard handling system (which can support pccard
modems).

NOTICE:  Make sure your mailer replies to dwhite@resnet or I won't get it!