Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 22:59:24 -0500
From:      Glenn Becker <chexmix@burningclown.com>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ignorant networking Qs

Hi, all -

Before I get toooooo much further and start tearing my hair out trying
to get my laptop to play nice, I guess I should ask: are there issues
using a "10BASE-T" card with a DSL connection?

Here's the deal. I have an older Toshiba laptop - Slackware Linux on one
side, FreeBSD on the other. Just received a 3C589 pccard for it,
configured networking so that the setup is identical to that on my
desktop (I'm planning on switching out the cable whenever I need to do
updating/connecting on the laptop, so the IPs I have will essentially do
'double duty')

The card gets recognized fine. I notice, however, that when I unplug the
cable from the desktop and plug it into the dongle, the fourth LED
(marked 'enet') on my DSL modem goes out ... and does not come back on.
When I try to ssh to an e-mail from the laptop, I get a 'temporary DNS
resolution failure' over and over. The 'enet' LED blinks some during
this.

And if I remove the cable from the laptop and plug it BACK into the
desktop box, the 'enet' LED comes back on and stays on.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone? :) I did notice in dmesg that
eth0 'flips to 10BASE-T' ... whatever that means.

Not sure where to start looking for problems or solutions on this.

Thanks,

Glenn Becker