Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:18:53 +0200
From:      Tobias Burnus <tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de
Subject:   "yp_next: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out"

Hi,

we get since a few months several emails of this type:

  Subject: Cron <root@twix> /usr/libexec/atrun
  yp_next: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

This is correlated with the installation of 21 new FreeBSD 4.2
computers, but we get the same output also from our fewer FreeBSD 3.4
machines.

Interestingly there are computers which send this email very frequently
and other almost never. (This may be correlated to the load/used
programs, but I can't detect a pattern.)

The home directories are mounted via NFS from several Alpha Tru64 Unix
servers and NIS master and slaves are also Tru64 servers.

On interesting point is also that using "top" the Tru64 clients send
only one package (and receive one) whereas the FreeBSDs send several
packages (80). Probably they request the name id per id whereas Tru64
gets the map at once. But this doesn't explain these frequent problems,
I think.

With warm regards,

Tobias

PS: We use amd/auto mount daemon for the homedirectories. Since Tru64
doesn't work well with amd and comes with autofs, we would like to use
AutoFS with FreeBSD. Does someone know a patch to enable AutoFS?