Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2005 17:28:44 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, openoffice@freebsd.org, "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Excessive dependancies for OpenOffice 2.0 port

--nextPart34314835.aZRHPj8r9U

On Sunday, 6. November 2005 19:58, Mikhail T. wrote:
> =3D On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 12:18:09PM -0500, Mikhail T. wrote:
> =3D > I'm surprised, you are not objecting to the port's building of its =
OWN
> =3D > C and C++ compiler, as well as a bunch of "small" things like STLpo=
rt,
> =3D > db4, expat (yes, it depends on it, but builds its own too!), sablot=
ron,
> =3D > xmlsec, etc. etc.
>
> =3D I don't think you realise how much work it is to keep OO building even
> =3D with stock vendor sources, let alone with third party versions of
> =3D those packages.
>
> Actually, I do realise that, and, in my opinion, it is _harder_ to keep
> it building the current way. The third-party packages -- installed by
> other ports -- have their own maintainers, who watch out for build
> problems.

I fail to see how going along with the vendor's default build system and=20
procedure is harder than having to massively patch around in there (and=20
having to redo those patches obsoleted every time the upstream sources chan=
ge=20
significantly enough).

Given how outdated some of the bundled sources are, I would guess that=20
OpenOffice probably would have many issues with the latest versions of its=
=20
dependencies, requiring even more patches to OOo - or having to keep around=
=20
obsolete versions of these dependencies in ports.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org