Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:02:45 -0700
From:      "Jeremy Domingue" <jer@hughes.net>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <smp@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

Hey all...

First of all, parts of this message may sound like Linux bashing to some
people... that's not my intent, so if I come across that way I apoligize.
Also, this message is going to be pretty long... please bear with me.

I started using Linux (RedHat) a year ago. At first, I had a lot of problems
but I assumed that was simply because I was very unexperienced and had to go
through the normal learning curve that everyone does. About 8 months ago, I
got myself a brand new Gateway (ALR) Pentium II 266 server, and needless to
say I was completely excited. I thought that with this new hardware linux
was going to completely ROCK and fix some of the problems I was having with
my previous (clone) server. Obviously, since I am here now, it did not.

Ever since I first installed Linux a year ago I have been going back and
forth from bug to bug, problem to problem, in a never ending battle of
trying to get my server to stay up any more than a week. I have been told
everything from "your hardware is bad" to "wait for the next version" to
"that's not supported" to "there are bugs in that code and someone needs to
fix it". Frankly, I am SICK of hearing this again and again! If I had some
piece of crap clone hardware, I could probably understand some of the issues
I have been having, but this is name brand (what I thought to be) quality
hardware! I have replaced almost every piece of hardware in that server
under the assumption it was bad and it has not helped one bit.

When I started out with my new Gateway server, it was just a plain Pentium
II 266 w/ 128mb of RAM. After googles of crashes, I thought, well, maybe it
just isn't enough server for the load. So, I proceeded to get a second PII
processor and upgraded to 512mb of RAM. More crashes, different errors, the
story of my life with Linux. I have tried the latest release and development
kernels, just about every patch I can find, and nothing works with it. It is
the most unstable computer I have ever used in my entrie life... and I run
an NT box as well (pretty sad the NT box stays up for months on end and I
can't even keep the linux box running a week).

So, at this point, I am looking for a fresh start, something that will allow
the server to actually run a week or more without crashing.

Finally, to my questions about FreeBSD:

1) First and foremost, I am wondering what issues I will face being a user
very accustomed to linux. I know there will be differences between linux and
FreeBSD, but can anyone outline some of the major ones?

2) Is there a way I can install FreeBSD without losing all of the stuff on
the server right now such as user files, web pages, programs, etc? And
possibly keep linux on there somewhere in case I ever decide to go back?

3) Is anyone using SMP on FreeBSD with an Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI
controller? Linux people keep telling me that this is not a good
configuration for Linux... how about for FreeBSD?

4) I know that the current build of FreeBSD is listed as development and
should not be used in a mission critical environment, however, what are
people's experiences with it so far? If it seems to be fairly stable, I
would be willing to give it a shot... I really need the SMP support.

5) Are there any other problems or issues I may face with my hardware
configuration (listed below)?

I would also be very interested in hearing from other previous (or current)
Linux users' experiences with FreeBSD, and what comments they may have about
the differences and advantages (especially stability-wise) to using FreeBSD
instead of Linux.

Any input would be greatly appreciated....

Only 24 hours till the next Linux crash... woo hoo!

TIA,

Jeremy Domingue
jer@hughes.net

Hardware Configuration:

Gateway (formerly ALR) NS-7000 Server
Dual PII 266mhz
512mb EDO ECC SDRAM (all from the same lot, same manufacturer)
Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI controller
3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card
2-4.1gb IBM SCSI hard drives