Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:20:18 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Kevin Havener <kevin.havener@afccc.af.mil>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't resolve localhost

Kevin Havener wrote:

> As you can see, this has always been flaky for me.  How would I make
> sure the hosts file gets re-read by the system (besides rebooting)?
> Maybe I haven't been consistent in this respect.

You don't need to do anything - applications read the /etc/hosts file
when they need it (I'm not sure if they only read it the first time it's
needed, and cache the results, so you might at most need to kill and
restart any applications affected).

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D