Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:09:38 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux & Maple

Quoting Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org> (from Wed, 11 Oct 2006 =20
12:35:56 +0200):

> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 22:50, Divacky Roman wrote:
>> >
>> > I think the answer to that is no. The changes appear to be threading
>> > related. I'm guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised if 2.4.20
>> > introduced NPTL support.
>>
>> I dont think such a big change as NPTL is introduced in the middle of
>> stable branch. not even in linux ;)
>
> I just did a quick google search and it turns out that Redhat
> backported TLS and futexes from 2.5 to 2.4. So where an NPTL build of
> glibc and other libs would normally require kernel ABI version 2.6.0,
> version 2.4.20 is sufficient.

In this case setting osrelease to 2.4.20 will not result in a fully =20
working application. You could pray and set osrelease to 2.6.16. Maybe =20
it works for you. But don't be surprised if it doesn't work for you. =20
We have known problems here.

If you started an application with 2.6.16 I recommend to reboot if you =20
want to switch back. I've seen cases where old linux stuff was still =20
in memory even after a program stopped. This results in a panic if you =20
switch the osrelease version (not immediatly, a few seconds after =20
switching).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Everybody is going somewhere!!  It's probably a garage sale or a
disaster Movie!!

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137