Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:47:40 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Subject:   Re: Spam problem on the list (Was: Re: URGENT)

On 23 Jun 2002, at 5:25, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> In the ultimate irony (or perhaps more accurately, in the ultimate
> obviousness), the message that immediately followed Ruben's in the
> last digest, and which took up fully 70% of the entire digest, was
> yet another spam, complete with a nice big file attachment.

I have to voice my agreement with the "lock it down or lock it out"
mentality. I think it's great that the FreeBSD lists are open for
posting by anyone, but my opinion is that for such a service to exist
(and don't get me wrong, I think it's a great service, and indicative
of the level the FreeBSD community is willing to go to to support
their platfrom) it must be balanced with some more granular
administration.

I'd recommend that more admins be assigned or roped into the
administration of the list. The list shouldn't be moderated but there
should be a faster response when something like this happens- if a
single virus is sent to the list from some hapless bastard's
hacked/infected machine, that probably shouldn't induce a LARTing-
after all, he or she has to clean up the mess on their machine
themseleves, and I think we can be tolerant of the occasional problem.

But about the third virus sent from the "Jan Van Der Berg" account at
xs4all.nl should have been responded to with a blackholing of at
least that account if not the entire domain until such time as the
issue was resolved. That indicates to me that we need more
administration presence, because it isn't realistic to assume that a
single or small group of admins are going to be continuously
monitoring the list. Nor is it fair to expect that, because they're
not getting paid. :)

I very nearly unsubscribed because of the volume of mail I was
getting. It wasn't going to overwhelm my servers or anything but it
was really aggravating. I'm sure that a number of other people simply
dropped their subscriptions, which doesn't help the FreeBSD community
at all.

Anyway, just my opinions. I've only been on the list and running
FreeBSD for a couple of weeks now, so take that for what it's worth.
:-)

Corey