Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:12:14 -0500
From:      Gary Mu1der <gmulder@infotechfl.com>
To:        Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan k8sr lockups

All,

Well I can just now reliably hang (no panic, have to reset) my shiny new
AMD64 dual processor box (2 x Opteron 246, Tyan Thunder K8S PRO, 6GB,
Adaptec 2200S) with a simple dd of /dev/mem:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD d10.bidx.com 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5
04:19:18 UTC 2004
root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

$ dd if=/dev/mem of=/dev/null bs=1024k

(hang after about 5 seconds of watching it via top)

How do I force a kernel dump or get other diagnostics? The keyboard
doesn't seem to respond.

Thought it might be due to the fact that I wasn't using a AMD64 kernel,
but the same command crashes the following:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD d10.bidx.com 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5
03:50:01 UTC 2004
root@fanboy.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I ran memtest+ over night for 16 hours last night with no reported
memory errors.

Gary