Date:      Mon, 8 Aug 2005 14:49:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.11 to RELENG_6

Björn König <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
 > Randy Bush wrote:
 > > any peculiarities/clues for upgrading an antique from 4.11 to
 > > RELENG_6 beyond the "To upgrade in-place from 5.x-stable to
 > > current" in UPDATING?
 >
 > I guess not. From the release notes of 6.0-BETA2:
 >
 > "Source upgrades to FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT are only supported from FreeBSD
 > 5.3-RELEASE or later. Users of older systems [...]

Unfortunately, that statement is ambiguous:  FreeBSD 4.11
(Jan. 2005) is _not_ older than 5.3 (Nov. 2004).  However,
I guess that's not what the release notes really mean.

For the mentioned update from 4.x to 6.x, I would go via
a binary upgrade, which has probably fewer pitfalls and
is finished a lot faster than a source upgrade.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme,  secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Marktplatz 29, 85567 Grafing

"It combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion different
sublanguages in one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C
with the readability of PostScript."
        -- Jamie Zawinski, when asked: "What's wrong with perl?"