Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:41:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@cray-ymp.acm.stuorg.vt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   proxy ARP on ethernet??

I can't seem to get proxy ARP to work on a system that has two ethernet
interfaces in it (only one ip address though).  I want this machine to be
able to route packets to and from the other two machines hooked up to the
second ethernet interface.  The main problem is that I can't make the server
machine connect to both interfaces.  ie I can't access hosts off both
interfaces at the same time.  Because of this the packets aren't getting
routed correctly.  Usually, I can connect to hosts off of ether0, but not
ether1.  Below is a small diagram of how everything is layed out.  If someone
has this working, could you provide me a little insight on what I am doing
wrong??

I can't simply run routed, since the hub only wants to see one MAC address.

BTW I am using 2.1.0R (the hostnames/ip/ether names are pseudo).

				---------------
				|   Gateway   |
				| to internet |
				| 10.10.10.1  |
				---------------

				---------------
				|     Hub     |
				---------------

				   ----------
				   | ether0 |
				   ----------

				---------------
				|   Server    |
				| 10.10.10.7  |
				---------------

				   ----------
		|------------------| ether1 |-------------------|
		|		   ----------			|
		|						|
	--------------					--------------
	|   Host A   |					|   Host B   |
	| 10.10.10.8 |					| 10.10.10.9 |
	--------------					--------------

here are the ifconfig/route/arp commands I used:

ifconfig ether0 10.10.10.7
route add default 10.10.10.1
ifconfig ether1 10.10.10.7
arp -s hosta ether0 pub
arp -s hostb ether0 pub
route add hosta 10.10.10.7 -interface
route add hostb 10.10.10.7 -interface

--
Keith Mitchell            |      The real danger is not that computers will
Chesapeake/Blacksburg VA  |      begin to think like men, but that men will