Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:51:06 -0500
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPICA 20100121 regression

On Monday 01 February 2010 02:36 pm, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 1 Feb 2010, at 19:33, Jung-uk Kim wrote:

> >> You're right, but I'm left wondering why it worked with a
> >> previous ACPICA.
> >
> > Because "Windows 2009" was added in 20090903. :-)
>
> I understand now. Still, I think this is ACPICA's fault, but I
> understand that other laptops may rely on this behavior from
> ACPICA, so the fix may cause even more problems..

I agree that it is ACPI-CA's fault but it was debated in Linux
community for a while and they decided it is the best course of
action for ACPI-CA, AFAIK.  Basically, a lot of ACPI implementations
out there just disable some "features" based on Windows versions.
Even worse, many features are disabled when it matches "Linux".  So,
they decided returning the latest and greatest Windows version
instead is the best choice.  Luckily (or unluckily), not so many ACPI
implementations match "FreeBSD". :-(

Jung-uk Kim