Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 22:27:49 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk activity light on Asus SC875 doesn't work

On Jul 21, "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
> >On Saturday, 19th July 1997, Dave Huang wrote:
> >
> >>Hi there... I just got an Asus SC875 card (53c875 chip), and it seems to
> >>be running great so far... except for one weird thing: the activity LED
> >>doesn't work when in NetBSD. However, in MSDOS, Win95, and WinNT, it works
> >>just fine.
> >
> >It's the same with the Diamond FirePort 40 (based on the 875J), so you
> >aren't imagining it.  It wasn't a useful indicator no matter which way I
> >plugged in my LED.  It's a real bummer because my new disk is too quiet. :-)
> >
> >Stephen.
>
> Simply as a data point, the led on my Tekram 390F (53c875) card works.

Well, and to add a few more data points, it also works
if you use a Symbios SCSI card, or even my SP3G mother
board with on-board SCSI ...

While it is easy to have a status LED connected to some
SCSI bus signal (BSY), which makes it work with no driver
support, other boards use a general purpose I/O pin, and
the driver has to set/reset the according register bit.

The bad thing about this is, that some other card might
do surprising things (like erase the cards NVRAM :), if
you toggle that bit with a suitable rate ...

I have prefered to not implement software support for the
status LED, but Gerard Roudier did it for the BSD driver
when he ported it to Linux. Well, and I guess now I've got
even less reason to reject the patch he sent, which will
add this feature (and some more!) to the version in FreeBSD.

So, if you wait for a few more days, you may find that
your status LED will suddenly start to blink :)

Regards, STefan