Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:41:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Edwin Culp <edwinlculp@yahoo.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 6's with ruby apps such as portupgrade and pkg

--- Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Edwin Culp wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing signal 6's  with ruby apps such as
> pkgdb
> > and portupgrade also with gaim-0.75, mkisofs.  I'm
> > seeing signal 11's with kdm.  This is with today's
> > world and kernel.  I also got a signal 15 on
> syslogd
> > but I was able to start it without a problem after
> the
> > machine came up to multiuser.
>
> Sig15 is pretty normal on a shutdown as its the
> normal SIGTERM.  Sig6 is
> SIGABRT and is usually caused by a serious (but
> detected) program problem.
> Sig11 is more serious, usually a program bug, but
> can be caused by bad
> memory or system temperature issues.
>
> I run kdm on my -current box and haven't detected
> any issues that would
> indicate problems with any signal-handling code.

I've got it down to just ruby.  The link to
malloc.conf that Larry suggested fixed gaim and a new
cvsup and build have solved everything else, I think.
I was hopping that portupgrade would be working too
but no luck.

Jan 12 20:36:58 viviendaatualcance kernel: pid 50257
(ruby), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

I'll give it another try tomorrow.  Thanks.

> > Is anyone else seeing this or have an idea what
> might
> > have started it.  I'm not able to find a common
> > denominator.  I rebuilt all the ruby apps,
> > portupgrade, etc.  I've run mergemaster.  Maybe I
> have
> > some old libraries in /usr/lib.  I'm going to
> check.
>
> Make sure you're upgrading properly.

I think so, thanks again.

ed