Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 18:53:14 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

At 03:26 PM 10/9/2001, NGH wrote:

>That's *exactly* what concerns me. If this horror of a law passes,
>and I wouldn't be surprised if it did, as entertainment companies
>have deep pockets and can push these things through, then one of
>three things would happen:
>
>1. Free or Open software would be illegal in the U.S., or
>2. Licensing, NDAs, etc. effectively make said software impossible
>   to distribute, or
>3. Both of the above.

It wouldn't be bad if the GPL were finally ruled to be invalid! ;-)
However, the chance that a law restricting software or hardware in
that way would pass is virtually nil. The number of companies
affected is so huge -- and they have so much money -- that the
entertainment industry looks tiny by comparison. And many of
their industries have big, powerful lobbying organizations.

--Brett