Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:31:08 +1000
From:      Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
To:        "Neil Munro" <neilmunro@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg upgrade to 7.2 always failing

> I am new to freebsd, i have been using Linux for a number of years now, and
> being the chairman of the opensource society at uni i am always trying to
> increase my knowledge. So any help would be appreciated.
>
> I am trying to upgrade to modular X, so i can get all the fancy 3D desktop
> graphics i am used to, so i followed the instructions in /usr/ports/UPDATING
> for upgrading from 6.9 to 7.2, i have also tried building from ports neither
> of which has worked.
>
> Attached are the script files /usr/ports/UPDATING told me to record.
>
> Thanks
> Neil Munro

	Your ports subsystem is out of date.  You need to fix that
	first.  Look through UPDATING for changes related to
	portupgrade and ruby.

e.g.

20060703:
  AFFECTS: users of sysutils/portupgrade
  AUTHOR: sem@FreeBSD.org

  Because portupgrade had a problem with detecting Berkley DB version 2
  or newer, and the default database format is now set to use these
  versions, you can end up with a portupgrade that does not work with
  older databases. A quick fix is to remove the databases, type:
  'rm /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db /usr/ports/INDEX*.db'.
  portupgrade will recreate them automatically. It does absolutely no harm.

  If you do not want remove the databases, you should detect what database
  type do you use, and set the port options for portupgrade accordingly.
  Follow these instructions:

  - run 'pkgdb -fu' *before* upgrading and take a look on the output.
    You can see database format there as: format:XXX, where XXX is your
    current database format.
  - Go to portupgrade port directory and configure the port with
    `make config' command. If you have bdb_* format, then turn on the BDB4
    option. If you have bdb1_* format, then turn off BDB4 and turn on
    the BDB1 option. If you have dbd_hash format, then turn off all options.
  - Upgrade portupgrade.

  Note: if you change database format with changing port options,
  you should remove the ruby-bdb* port that you don't need anymore.
  Alternatively, you can hard code database format in your pkgtools.conf.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@isc.org