Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:25:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        corbesero@cs.moravian.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Xfree86 and /stand

On 2002-10-14, flash scribbled:

# I am tracking stable, and I have two questions about upgrading via cvsup
# and the {build,install}{world,kernel} method.
#
#   1) How do I upgrade Xfree86 to 4.2.x?    My XFree is still 3.3.6.

There are two ways you can install XFree86 4.2.x on your machine, one is
by downloading the binaries for 4.2.0 plus the update binary package for
4.2.1 from XFree86.org:

4.2.0 for FreeBSD 4.x:
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/binaries/FreeBSD-4.x/

4.2.1 Update for FreeBSD 4.x (requires 4.2.0):
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.1/binaries/FreeBSD-4.x/

Just pull down all of the files for 4.2.0, read the Install file for
installation directions and notes, configure your video card and make
sure it works, then pull down the files for the 4.2.1 update, and then
follow the directions the Install file.

The second option is to install it using Ports or Packages, though it
seems that some of the ports still carry the 4.2.0 version tag.

Most likely, you will need to reinstall all ports and packages that
depend on XFree86 so that it picks up the new version and libraries. The
latest version of FreeBSD will default to XFree86 4.x... you may want to
check the /etc/defaults/make.conf file to see what it thinks the default
XFree86 version is. Change it if necessary.

#   2) How do I upgrade all the files in /stand. Only sysinstall gets
#      upgraded when I follow the handbook instructions.

All of the other files in /stand are hard-linked to the sysinstall
binary according to the following excerpt from the Handbook:

For the sake of completeness, you may want to update the files in /stand
as well. These files consist of hard links to the /stand/sysinstall
binary. This binary should be statically linked, so that it can work
when no other filesystems (and in particular /usr) have been mounted.

    # cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
    # make all install

HTH

--