Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:52:22 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        Dmitry Suhodoev <raven@bingo.chel.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too many warnings (over 70kb) by make buildworld

If it's a critical server I'd reccomend using RELENG_4_6 rather than a
snapshot of RELENG_4.

It would probably be a good idea to do a practice run on a non-critical
machine first.

make installworld is reckoned to be safer in single user mode, but I've
found I can generally get away without this.

I have to upgrade machines remotely from time to time, so single user
mode is awkward.  I always make sure however that I have someone near the
machine on call in case something goes wrong.

If something does go wrong, you've always got your backups.  You should
also have practiced restoring from backup on a non-critical machine, and
if you might have to instruct someone remotely for part of all of this
procedure, then you'd better know the process well enough for that.

Andrew McNaughton