Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:31:49 -0700
From:      Conrad Minshall <conrad@apple.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to fseek past 2GB?

At 1:00 PM -0700 4/29/98, Dan Nelson wrote:
>I recently noticed that there is no way to fseek() past the 2GB mark on
>files opened with fopen().  The offset in the FILE struct is an fpos_t;
>there's just no way to get at it.
>
>fseek(), unfortunately, is cursed with a "long" file offset, so that
>can't change.
[...]
>Is there a "standard" function name for a fseek() function that takes
>an off_t or fpos_t?

Yes, and the name is "fseeko".  The "Large File Summit" standard includes
it and everything else for 64 bit file offsets.  X/Open (now Open Group)
adopted the standard into Unix98 (officially called Single Unix
Specification, Version 2)

Search Unix98 at: http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/index.html or
see the much more readable book "Go Solo 2", chapter 15, "Large File
Support".

--
Conrad Minshall    mailto:conrad@apple.com
If "conrad@apple.com" doesn't work, try using rad@acm.org.