Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 17:47:14 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld.so, LD_NOSTD_PATH, and suid/sgid programs

Terry Lambert writes:
> > >As it currently sits, it's not harmful, and it represents a direction
> > >that is desirable.
> >
> > Since it isn't implemented correctly, it just increase startup time,
> > let's wait until author implement it properly (in Sun style). If
> > proper implementation never happens, we don't need to keep it too.
>
> #ifdef?

Since the run-time loader code affects the memory size of *every* single
binary in the system, removing un-necessary/un-needed functionality from
it is a win.  We still have the CVS tree which we can use to pull out
the code from if we need it at a later date.

This does assume one has access to the CVS tree, but given the extreme
interest that has been shown in the code up till this point I'd be very
suprised to get a sudden rash of volunteers wanting to implement
LD_NOSTD_PATH but they don't have enough code to work with. :)

Nate