Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:50:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr, atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Service Classes

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, mark tinguely wrote:

>    RH says:
> >  A switch would be quite a project, if cell spacing and latency is to
> >  be preserved.  Hardware support is probably needed for that.
>
> I agree, you need to go to the cell level to honor the QOS agreements
> plus implement the signalling. A dedicated machine with a couple ATM
> cards and software switching software would be an ambitious project
> but would be good for people that wanted a non-production test/reseach
> environment. companies like Cisco and Lucent had to start somewhere ...
>
> --mark tinguely.

Now that you mention it, there _might_ be a decent way to implement
an ATM swtich if it did not need to "groom" the virtual circuits.
In other words, it should be possible to build a software switch
around a single-process state machine that _could_ have a relatively
constant cell latency.

Just thinking out loud, a dual-CPU system might have one CPU dedicated
to the ATM state machine, the other for management...

-Richard