Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:43:34 -0800
From:      Gary Schenk <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AC97 sound support

I've just installed 5.1 -RELEASE on my new machine, a HP a350n. For
sound this computer uses onboard RealTek AC97 Audio.

I went throught the normal installation steps, then ran the steps for
soundcard configuration in the manual. I ran kldload. I recompiled
the kernel with 'device pcm'. I tried 'options PNPBIOS', at which
point I received a message about an unkown option.

dmesg | grep pci gives me this line:
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)

dmesg | grep pcm returns nothing.

This has all been seen on this list before. I searched c.u.b.f.m and
-questions and have seen this come up before, but I never saw a
resolution.

My question is:

Does all this mean the FreeBSD does not support onboard Realtek AC97
Audio? I'd just like to know before I go out and buy a soundcard. It
is not that I'm cheap, I just like finding out how FreeBSD works. :-)
However it looks like a Soundblaster Live is the answer.

Thanks for the help in the past and future.

uname returns:
FreeBSD fuzz.socal.rr.com 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Nov
2 22:56:57 PST 2003
root@fuzz.socal.rr.com:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/FUZZ  i386

Gary Schenk