Date:      24 Jul 1997 18:15:18 -0700
From:      Faried Nawaz <fn@Hungry.COM>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert) writes:

  > > I have to warn you that several mail server products of which I'm
  > > aware actualy verify via getpeername/gethostbyaddr (RARP), and
  > > will reject your host anyway.
  >
  > RARP?  Or was that just a belch in mid-sentence :-)?

  Reverse Address Resoloution Protocol.  When someone connects to me,
  I can always geet the IP address they are connecting from.  Using
  RARP, I can turn the address into a machine name, and compare it
  with what you tell me on the "HELO" and "MAIL FROM:" lines.

RARP does hardware address/IP address translation.

Redirected to chat.