Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:03:55 +0100
From:      Patrik Sundberg <ps@radiac.mine.nu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA timeout errors

On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 01:33:55PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Patrik Sundberg wrote:
>=20
> > I also get this when booting - think it started happening when I started
> > using the new ata-driver. For me it happens when the root is supposed t=
o be
> > mounted (from dmesg):
>=20
> > As you can see I am using a seagate disk and I am having the same probl=
em.
>=20
> I've always had this problem with the new ata drivers (on a Western
> Digital, though). Looks like it's just something we have to Deal With :-(
> Plus, my CDROM doesn't do audio any more.

Tested my CDROM for audio just now - works fine (at least pressing the
buttons on the unit, have no softwareplayer to test with so it might not
work anyway - my cd is total crap and usually has all kinds of problems..)

However, it seems this affects many people using different hardware. The
conclusion must be that the ATA drivers needs fixing - not being able to use
DMA-mode for disks etc just isn't acceptable, especially considering it
worked ok with the wd driver - or did that driver not even try the "better"
modes, just falling back to PIO default? I am not familiar with it so I
don't know. If it in fact worked before, the ata-guys(S=F6ren, right?)
shouldn't have too hard a time getting it to function properly again.

S=F6ren, comments?

--=20
Patrik Sundberg  -  email: ps@raditex.se || ps@radiac.mine.nu
---> telefon: 013-178 567  -  mobiltelefon: 070-760 22 40 <---