Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:03:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird kernel problem

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 09:48:26AM +0000, Mark Powell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   Had a machine on which top hasn't been working for a while. I thought
> > maybe I'd not rebuilt the system properly, so I brought it and another
> > machine up to date with 4.2S yesterday. Did make world on both and rebuilt
> > their kernels, both from the same config file. They should both be the
> > same after that, right?
> >   Now both are rebooted top still fails with "top: nlist
> > failed". Strangely, in memory the kernel is rather large:
>
> See the FAQ about this question.

I thought I was aware of the usual cause of this problem; userland &
kernel out of sync; but as I explained I've rebuilt the two systems and
checked that both have the same kernel, same top command, same shared
libraries.
  So it must be the boot loader then? Why would this make the kernel
appear to take up so much memory on just the one system?
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key