Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:48:59 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, sheldonh@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Add generic username for 3rd-party MTA's

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 12:39:28AM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Sheldon Hearn:
> > I plan to add a user ``smtp'' with UID 25 and a member of group
> > ``mail'', for use in running non-priveledged MTA's in FreeBSD. This is
> > primarily for the convenience of maintainers of mail ports.

Will ports adapt easily to this?

Having ports add their own users and groups is fairly trivial.
Using a single user:group could make some of the ports less standard
(eg. most of the world does not run qmail under user ``smtp'' or
group ``mail'').  OTOH, I can see that having a common user:group
would be useful and make some things easier, too.

[I'm not saying I'm opposed; I'm asking if it really makes sense for
 the ports to use a single mta user:group ... I know some authors
 (<cough> djb, of qmail [in]famy) would probably try to prohibit us
 from using a single user:group].

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.