Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 21:30:34 +0900
From:      Kyunghwan Kim <redjade@atropos.snu.ac.kr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bandwidth reservation?

I've used dummynet bridge for bandwidth manangement in my company.
Dummynet provides bandwidth management service by limiting specified
traffic. Maybe limiting ability of dummynet is derived from its
origin of network delay simulator.

But I really want to use (or implement if I can) is bandwidth reservation.
(I'm not sure it is appropriate term for that.)

Assume that bandwidth is reserved for some traffic. If there is
no traffic in specified traffic, then other kinds of traffic should
be able to use the bandwidth. When the specified traffic occurs,
reserved bandwidth should be guaranteed. In other words, bandwidth
guarantee by reserving not by limiting.

How should dummynet be modified to meet the need?
If there is related works or papers, please let me know.
--
Kyunghwan Kim
redjade@atropos.snu.ac.kr