Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 14:32:47 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        bob@luke.pmr.com, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using amanda from ports

In message <199509201001.DAA04750@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami write
s:
> * Well, Think I'll have to give up my attempts to use amanda for now.
> * I did finally get it to run but it caused my system to spontaneously
> * reboot while it was running.  I have used up more time than I can
> * afford on it right now, perhaps next time I get to trying it I will
> * have better luck.  Too bad, it looks quite useful...    :-(

>Sorry to hear that. :<

There was a problem in the SCSI tape code (probably in 2.0.5R also, as
the bug was noticed (by me at least) after the disk was pressed). For
the life of me I can't remember what it was tho. I think it was a
timeout problem, not a crash'n'burn problem tho.

``spontaneously reboot'' == kernel stack overflow (if there wasn't a
panic message). Details of your problem should be addressed to the
relevant list (freebsd-current or freebsd-stable depending on your
version - ports certainly isn't it). A dmesg showing hardware involved
would certainly be helpful in debugging this problem.

> * I'd certainly like to hear from folks that are successfully using
> * it...

About 6 machines are dumped to a 9Gb Exabyte tape drive every night at
Walnut Creek (aka cdrom.com). This includes freefall.FreeBSD.ORG, so I
sincerely hope it works! (I have to say, I do know that it works - I
am on the alias that gets the dump reports every night).

>I'm sure there is somebody using it successfully, maybe you can ask in
>the newsgroup or "hackers"?  The "ports" list is for porters, so
>amanda users may not be listening here....

This isn't a generic Amanda problem I think. I can't think of HOW
amanda can force a spontaneous reboot, as it doesn't do anything low
level enough to worry me (all the low level stuff is done through
`dump(8)' and then piped over TCP/IP to a listener which dumps it to
the tape).

Gary

P.S. Sorry if I'm hopping on the end of this discussion, I don't
remember seeing previous mails about this (I could have done, I've had
a lot on my mind the last few days).