Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2014 16:15:10 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com>
Subject:   Re: Digi CCWMX53
References:  <CABx9NuQr%2BdEb_yj3ypEe6Sb_qPY%2BqP74n0x1K5=_K6Zoio2vkw@mail.gmail.com> <C439A1ED-8AA0-4CA5-B375-D80E8BD4C624@me.com> <CABx9NuTU=E7ceQ=5=Qk%2B=e9jwLjnJZf2Lr70d7XbwAYRD5nd7Q@mail.gmail.com> <E12E12A8-32B9-4B26-B6C4-65DF9F43C396@me.com> <CABx9NuT31dVubDCCt7M5DGhoNqu0a9saxuB1fb9naq42Z8mi%2BA@mail.gmail.com> <A73CCB0A-2ED9-4505-BACD-264F768D2D72@bsdimp.com> <CABx9NuROVKvAcqj166=z%2BvP5zemjost6m12H5fLvEbKU8%2BA0xw@mail.gmail.com> <27A69721-D93D-4D4C-883A-718CFFF52B21@bsdimp.com> <CABx9NuRybC-8z4XTMO=0vu824%2BEzVhiDu-vsxteBr6zchorgmA@mail.gmail.com> <DD01C5E3-15BE-4953-A4AA-C0F67D2F0382@bsdimp.com>

Warner,
That's great news! I had a scan and it seemed pretty thorough (albiet
from a novice point of view). The pre-canned jobs looked promising.

As much as I'm hoping your intention is to fix this FOR me, could you
point me towards the code for the mtd support?

Many thanks to everyone for helping. I've had more progress in the
last two weeks than I have in the previous six months. lolz

Russ

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> Hey Russ,
>
> A quick read suggests all, or nearly all, of the data needed to write a f=
ull NFC for this chip is present. The programming and read sequences and in=
formation about ECC error rates appear to be readily available. The exact E=
CC used, however, appears opaque. This may or may not be a problem. It even=
 appears to have command sequencing built into the controller. This is a gr=
eat feature, but one the current code doesn=E2=80=99t make use of.

> Warner
>
> On Oct 2, 2014, at 10:44 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Warner,
>>
>> I was looking for a Digi reference but it turns out the Nand Flash Contr=
oller is part of the Freescale Processor. Here is the link to the Reference=
 Manual:

>> cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/iMX53RM.pdf
>>
>> The NAND Flash Controller is in Chapter 51 page 3571 to page 3647.
>>
>> Is this relevant to what you are looking at doing? https://wiki.freebsd.=
org/NAND

>> I also found something called CHFS for NetBSD that looks interesting: ht=
tp://chewiefs.sed.hu/home

>> Thanks,
>> Russ
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 1, 2014, at 12:48 AM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Warner,
>> >
>> > First, I was just watching your 2010 talk on supporting FreeBSD in a c=
ommercial environment. Has there been any updates in the process of maintai=
ning a commercial branch in the last 4 years (not that I have any commercia=
l ventures yet! lolz)?

>> > Anyway, I talked to an Engineer about the NAND controller spec and he =
chided me for being naive (poor little software developer, in way over his =
head. tisk tisk). He mentioned a FIVE THOUSAND page reference manual, which=
 I have yet to find on the Digi site.

>> URL + section number. 5k pages doesn=E2=80=99t necessarily mean it will =
be useful, though. :(

>> > I have however found this hardware reference:
>> >
>> > http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90001270_E.pdf
>> >
>> > From Page 41:
>> >
>> > NAND flash memory
>> > The ConnectCore for i.MX53 module provides 8GB of NAND flash memory. O=
n the module in
>> > the development kits a 512MByte, 2Kbyte page, NAND flash chip is used.=
 This NAND flash
>> > device is connected to NAND flash Chip Select 0.
>> > The NAND flash controller signals are available on the module connecto=
rs.

>> This basically says nothing more useful than =E2=80=9CThere=E2=80=99s NA=
ND on this board that=E2=80=99s 4Gbits on CS0.=E2=80=9D which is useful, bu=
t far from sufficient. How do I program the DMA so that ECC is added to the=
 OOB areas of that NAND? How do I set different ECC tables? How do I do ECC=
 error correction and detection? If you can=E2=80=99t answer that sort of q=
uestion from the docs you have, then they aren=E2=80=99t helpful enough.

>> > There are pin references to NAND further down in the section "GPIO mul=
tiplexing table in the ConnectCore for i.MX53 module" on page 44 and 49.

>> > I fear this is not the information we are looking for.
>>
>> Not really. The GPIO info might be mildly helpful in a few cases
>>
>> > I have found another u-boot fork for the CCWMX53 on github here: https=
://github.com/Varcain/uboot-ccwmx53-digi

>> > With what seems to be the information about booting from NAND here: ht=
tps://github.com/Varcain/uboot-ccwmx53-digi/tree/master/nand_spl

>> > If you can let me know what I am looking for I can both ask a more dir=
ected question at work and also perform a better search.

>> > I have also started looking over the Architecture handbook as well bec=
ause I have a feeling there is going to be lots of driver code in my future=
.

>> A good first step would be to get a URL or search string to get the URL =
for that big spec. It is of the right size to possibly be useful, but somet=
imes really long specs have 1-2 page descriptions of things like the SD con=
troller or the NAND controller that you need special NDAs + business arrang=
ements to get, so it is hard to say=E2=80=A6