Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:00:20 -0700
From:      dthiel <dthiel@nexprise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Keith Ellefsen <titan@noc.wbhs.org.za>
Subject:   Re: Telnet

The way that I normally do it is with screen.  Install screen
(/usr/ports/misc/screen), and briefly read the docs.  Basically, you run
screen, do a ctrl-a ctrl-c to create a new screen.  This makes it so you
essentially have 2 sessions going on in the same terminal window, which
you can switch between by hitting ctrl-a ctrl-a.  Anyhoo.  After you do
the ctrl-a ctrl-c, go and start the process you need, like downloading
huge files over ftp, then hit ctrl-a ctrl-d.  This detaches the screen
that you're running the process in.

Go ahead and log off/disconnect, whatever, and when you log back on, you
can reattach that screen by typing screen -r.

Check the docs for more info.

-david