Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:46:36 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Bharat Mediratta <bharat@menalto.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user account gone awry

Ryan Thompson wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, R Joseph Wright wrote:
>
> > The permissions of /usr/home are dr--r--r-- root wheel.  How does one go
> > about changing permissions on a directory anyhow?
>
> That could well be your problem :-)  Directories need the execute (x) bit
> for regular users to fetch directory contents.

Ahaa.. I wonder how that happened.
Now, I'm logging in allright, but I've got this pesky file or directory
'\'.  I cannot seem to delete it.  I think it's related to this whole
issue.
Also, now when I log in, instead of my prompt showing
joseph@mammalia:~$
I get
joseph@mammalia:/usr/home/joseph$
How annoying!  How to fix such a thing? I'm in bash, btw.

> man chmod
>
> If you don't like reading:
>
> chmod 755 /usr/home

Seemed like I couldn't make that work before, but after you said to do
it like that, it worked.  All I needed was faith in a guru =)