Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 13:10:26 -0400
From:      Jon Parise <jcptch@osfmail.isc.rit.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: webmail

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:03:55AM -0300, Aldenor Falcao wrote:

> 	I'd like to implement a free webmail site using IMP(like yahoo
> mail), in my humble condition of none experience in this matter I'll rely
> completely on everybody else mercy. Here is my questions:

I wrote a introductory article on using imp with bsd for Daemon
News.  It's available here:

    http://www.daemonnews.org/199909/imp.html

> 	1)best MTA to use(sendmail, qmail)

Use whichever you prefer.  I'm familiar with imp installations
using sendmail, qmail, and postfix.  All work fine with imp, and
each has their own merits beyond the scope of imp.

If you choose qmail and implement the Maildir format, you'll have
to use a patched imap server; qmail does not include one of its
own.

> 		vmailmgr?

As I recall, vmailmgr is used for managing virtual pop3 accounts.
It's highly recommended that you use imp with imap accounts (pop3
support is fledgling and lacks the features of imap).

> 	2)best authentication scheme(RDBS or other)
> 		mysql?

MySql works fine, as does ldap authentication.  Have a look at
Jason Belich's Scalable Webmail HOW-TO for more details:

    http://horde.org/papers/Scalable_webmail_HOWTO.html

--
Jon Parise (parise@pobox.com)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
http://www.pobox.com/~parise/  :  Computer Science House Member