Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:25:58 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple cd drives, how to...

> In message <199710121822.UAA16562@sos.freebsd.dk>, Søren Schmidt writes:
> >
> >I'm currently implementing support for multiple CD drives in the ATAPI
> >driver, question is how to switch the CD.
> >Should it be done by using the patition (a-h) gives which gives 8
> >possibilities, or should it be coded into the minor number.
> >Another possiblity is to use the cdcontrol program via ioctls to
> >switch.
> >
> >Votes ??
>
> Do not use the partitions.  Why don't you just take the number of
> drive numbers you need ?  That way you can mount all of the CD's
> and the changer will plug in whatever one you access.

That was kind of my idea as well, on probe decide how many "drives"
(= minors) this drive has, and allocating those
I cannot wait to se it trying to shuffle CD's trying to keep up
with 4 ls's on the mounted CD's :), that should be a pretty
good test ....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..