Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:21:03 +0100
From:      "Claus Guttesen" <kometen@gmail.com>
To:        "Darcy Buskermolen" <darcyb@commandprompt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postgresql-performance using sysbench

> > > Ubuntu 7.10:
> > >
> > > grep "transactions:" sysbench-clients-24|sort
> > > transactions:                        10000  (2354.49 per sec.)
> > > transactions:                        10001  (2126.28 per sec.)
> > > transactions:                        10001  (2215.52 per sec.)
> > > transactions:                        10001  (2236.03 per sec.)
> > >
> > > FreeBSD 7.0 stable as of Jan. 28'th:
> > >
> > > grep "transactions:" sysbench-clients-24|sort
> > > transactions:                        10001  (1600.36 per sec.)
> > > transactions:                        10002  (1963.95 per sec.)
> > > transactions:                        10005  (1973.17 per sec.)
> > >
> > > In other runs FreeBSD also seems to trail Ubuntu. Are there any knobs
> > > I could try on FreeBSD?
> >
> > I think the excellent results Kris got with FreeBSD were significantly
> > helped by patching postgresql to remove setproctitle().
>
> You don;t need to patch postgresql for that, all you need to do is turn that
> off.
>
> update_process_title = off in postgresql.conf and then restart the daemon.

I found the setting and set it to off but no real difference in performance.

> >   from the sysbench line I see this is OLTP benchmark which should mean
> > a lot of write transactions, and I've consistently seen much better file
> > system write performance on Linux than on FreeBSD. No tuning can help here.

Yes, that is correct. I wanted to conduct a r/w test. But if it's down
to the fs itself I will just leave it atm. I will probably deploy the
server on FreeBSD anyway since we probably won't reach that many
writes in the foreseable future and FreeBSD is what I do best.

Will zfs be able to achieve better performance? I guess that ufs2 will
remain more or less in the state it is in now.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare